The purpose of STANDU, Inc. includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Enhance foundational quality of Deaf education in Africa by infusing Deaf cultural perspectives and early intervention into pedagogy.
(b) Promote educational advancement and economic empowerment through direct action and collaboration with local, national, regional and international institutions and organizations.
(c) Advocate for Deaf people’s access to health and legal services.
Our activities are, broadly speaking, in the areas we have captured in the acronym EPA – Education, Partnership and Advocacy.
Educational activities include, but are not limited to:
• Research into best practices in Deaf education in Africa
• Promoting access to education for Deaf pupils and students at primary, secondary and tertiary levels
• Promoting new and effective ideas of pedagogy for Deaf pupils and students
Partnerships are pursued with:
• Local development agencies and both for-profit and non-profit organizations which are committed to advancing the interests of Deaf populations
• International development agencies and both for-profit and non-profit organizations which are committed to advancing the interests of Deaf populations
• National and foreign governments which retain our service and expertise in developing Deaf populations in the core areas of education, capacity building and advocacy.
Advocacy is the core basis of our work. We advocate for Deaf people to have access to quality education, barrier-free access to information, etc. This entails partnerships with agencies, organizations, governments and interest groups within and outside the continent.